Do you ever experience any of the following?
- Feel uptight or on edge
- Physical tension in your body
- Stressed out because of other people’s choices
- Frustrated with situations that are out of your control
If the answer is yes, then you may be getting feedback that you are trying to control things that are out of your control! The more we hang onto things not in the best interest of our overall emotional and physical well-being, the more we feel weighed down, stuck, unfulfilled and stressed out!
We all have a part of us that is called the conditioned self. The entire foundation of the conditioned self is to control people and situations to create safety. Often, we are not aware that we are trying to control things!
If you are certain you like to control things that create more havoc than good in your life, then try out these 5 steps! If you are not sure if you are trying to control things, then try out these 5 steps.
5 Easy Ways to Let Go of Control!
1. At this moment, ask your body what it is feeling.
o Check in with your body and see if your body is feeling tense and your breathing is feeling shallow. If so, then you are probably trying to control something.
o If your body is feeling contracted, it is giving instant feedback that your conditioned self is trying to control something and there is fear going on.
2. Ask yourself, “Do I often feel worried?”
o If the answer is yes, it may be an indicator you are attempting to control things that may be out of your control. Often, worry is a form of attempted control.
o If you frequently worry, the belief behind the worry often time is, “If I worry enough about something, then nothing bad will happen!”
o If you attempt to micromanage every detail in your life, you leave no room for your Authentic Self and your spiritual connection to enter into your life!
3. Simply ask yourself, “What am I trying to control?” You will be surprised with how quickly you get your answer.
4. If you determine that you are trying to control something, you have only 2 options!
* One, if you can change the situation, then create a plan and take action!
o Two, if you are trying to control something that is not in your control, you MUST make the conscious decision to let it go and trust in faith and the universe that all will work out just the way it should!
5. Do this practice throughout the day and write your reflections of what you learned at the end of the day.
I hope you have found some of these tips helpful! As always, I would love to hear from you if you have any more ideas or comments!
P.S. If you think a family member or friend could use this information, please share away.
P.S.S. If you want to continue to grow, learn and be inspired, you can most certainly like my Facebook page by clicking here.
Tips for letting go of control were adopted from the Global Association of Holistic Psychotherapy